Solstice and Equinox Tour in Iceland: June and September 2018
An amazing tour of 9 days in the north of Iceland, close to the arctic circle, offering contemplative walks, solstice and midnight sun, whales and fauna observation, hot baths. Maximum of 12 pers. Accompanied by a French-English speaking guide.
Highlights of this tour:
- Summer Solstice and Midnight Sun for June or northern lights and blackberries in September: In Iceland, June is the ideal time of the year to enjoy the midnight sun, especially with the longest day in the year on the 21st: the summer solstice. This natural phenomenon is truly magical with a sun almost disappearing, floating on the horizon, offering hours of sunset. All the accommodations we offer in this midnight sun tour are selected and picked for their optimal orientation regarding the midnight sun. You will therefore be comfortably settled to enjoy this unique phenomenon.
- A unique and diverse nature: All the walks, depending on the weather and on your guide’s inspiration, will be soft or vigorous, mysterious or enlightening. All the sites being close to your accommodation, we will spend more time enjoying and admiring what surrounds us. This midnight sun adventure is ideal for birds and nature lovers, photographers and hikers. The vastness of this region, the very low density of population, the water, air, silence and light quality turn this trip into a perfect opportunity to rejuvenate oneself.
- Exploring the region of Myvatn: A stay around lake Myvatn is always a complete immersion in a powerful and primitive nature where men managed to settle and keep traditions alive, such as baking bread in the warm ground, fishing in ice… Myvatn region offers an incredible diversity in a small area and allows avoiding long drives. This region has been recently used as a shooting spot for Game of Thrones and Prometheus. Fans will be able to discover the shooting spots during the trip.
- Beauty and authenticity of Trollaskagi’s peninsula: Remote from route 1, the peninsula is surrounded by high mountains on one side and by the fjord Eyjafjördur on the other side. Here, nature has been forged by the meeting of glaciers. Lights are magnificent and the location is ideal to discover birds, seals, whales and Icelandic horses. Once again, unforgettable memories ahead of you
- Harpa’voice….and icelandic melodies.
Day 1: Myvatn 100 km
Arrival at Akureyri’s airport on a 45’ domestic flight from Reykjavik that you can take right after your international flight. Your guide will welcome you and drive you to Myvatn where your accommodation is located on the shores of the lake.
Day 2: Myvatn 20 km
After a hearty breakfast on the shores of lake Myvatn, where you might see some ducks, we will go for a visit of Dimmuborgir (the lava castles), and we will stop many times to discover caves, strange rock formations and some peaceful trolls. During the afternoon we will explore another site, the crater of Hverfell, that we will climb and walk along the circumference to admire the breath-taking overlooking sight. Evening at the thermal baths of Myvatn for a marvellous relaxing time.
Day 3: Myvatn 60 km
Exploration of the Krafla’s caldera, location of Myvatn’s most recent eruption, and of Hverir and its boiling mud puddles puffing sulphur smokes. We will also visit Dettifoss, the most powerful waterfall in Europe. The night will be spent at the same location as the night before.
Day4: Akureyri 100 km
We will drive back to Akureyri and stop on the way to admire the waterfall of Godafoss. Once in Akureyri we will discover the charming and quaint botanical garden. In the afternoon we will leave for a 3 hours adventure to observe whales and to fish directly from the boat. The cods fished will be barbecued on the harbour. We will spend the night in a guesthouse on the seashore.
Day 5: Dalvik 30 km
This stage of your midnight sun tour will lead you on Hrisey Island located in the middle of a fjord. After a short moment of boat, you will discover an enchanting land by walking, because, on the island, vehicles are not allowed. The night will be spent at the same location as the night before.
Day 6: Holar 80 km
We will travel across a magnificent dale to reach Holar, a place of old. Holar was the bishopric of catholic Iceland, and more over, an important education centre and a symbol of power for centuries. We will spend the night there and enjoy the swimming pool and the forest. Holar has nowadays become and important school of agriculture. The region boasts also numerous stables of Icelandic horses. The coastline road is really breath-taking and constantly inviting for walks, hikes and adventures.
Day 7: Drangey 50 km
Exploration of the region around Saudarkrokur and a good opportunity to enjoy a hot bath on the seashore. From there we will take the boat to the island of Drangey, a place out of time hosting large colonies of birds. Night on the seashore in a location tailor made to admire the midnight sun.
Day 8: Husafell 300 km
Exploration of Vatnsnes’ peninsula with a stop to admire the fascinating rock formation of Hvitserkur. We will also take the time for a nice walk on a beach out of time, under the curious eyes of a large seals’ colony.
Day 9: Reykjavik 150 km
We will discover a magnificent waterfall and drive back to the capital city by the “Whale’s Fjord”. Your guide will tell you the story of the whale that lived in this fjord. Arrival in Reykjavik in the early afternoon.
International flight in the evening or extension of your stay. Please feel free to contact us.
June: 2990 €
Septembre: 2800 €
- Domestic flight Reykjavik – Akureyri (45’)
- All trips from Akureyri day 1 to Reykjavik day 9
- French and English speaking guide
- All nights (8 nights) in double bedroom (twin beds) with shared and private bathroom (upgrade to individual bedroom for 400€)
- Full board from breakfast D2 to D9 lunch included
- 1 entrance to Myvatn Nature Baths
- 1 entrance to Saudarkrokur hot bath
- 1 whales’ observation tour of 3 hours
- 1 entrance to Hofsos’ swimingpool
- Boat ticket for Hrisey Island
- Boat ticket for Drangey Island (Only June)
- Entrance fee museum
- International flight
- Transfers back and forth between Keflavik and Reykjavik (usually around 35€)
- Taxi transfers between your accommodation and the domestic airport (usually around 10€)
- Dinners in Reykjavik fist and last day
- Individual/cancellation insurances – first aid – repatriation
Group from 6 to 12 people.
Walks: All our walks on this midnight sun tour are on an accessible level. Their duration depends on weather conditions and on the overall level of the group. They can be extended, shorted and divided in two short ones instead of a long one.
Indicative itinerary and safety: The day by day plan for this midnight sun tour is given indicatively and is susceptible to change for safety reasons such as bad weather conditions, volcanic activity etc… Your guide knows perfectly the terrain and will always be the only one in charge, especially to take decisions relative to safety.
Guide: Your guide is always attentive to both the group and the Icelandic nature in order to ensure you enjoy perfectly this magical midnight sun tour.
Vehicle: For your group we will operated a private and dedicated minibus.
Food: Our cuisine is almost vegetarian and always made of organic products of high quality. Our hearty breakfast is usually on the Scandinavian model, lunch consists of salads, cookies and warm beverages. Dinner is usually filling and relaxed, using regional food as much as possible: trout from the lake, leg of lamb, vegetables, potatoes, salad and delicious dairy products such as skyr with blueberries. Any allergy or strict diet must imperatively be stated clearly during the inscription.
For conviviality in the group: (not mandatory) we recommend everyone to bring a delicacy from their home land.
Participation: Our guests are kindly asked to help the guide by assisting in the cooking and dishwashing in the accommodation, except for restaurant meals.
Accommodation during your stay: For this midnight sun tour, all our accommodations have been selected to make your experience comfortable and midnight sun orientated.
Extension of your stay: Please contact us! You might not come back to Iceland any time soon, and if you can spare a few more days, we advise you to extend your stay a little bit, in an independent trip to discover another region or just to enjoy more of the northernmost capital city in the world. We can arrange 1 or 2 days more in Reykjavik for you to really submerge in its relaxed and original way of living, to enjoy its excellent coffee-shops and wonderful book-stores, to discover its fascinating little museums and art galleries, and to relax yourself in its swimming pools, spas and original night life.
Be careful to choose your prolongation early on, because modifying your plane ticket on site can be pricey and even sometimes impossible.
According to the season and to the weather’s instability of these northern countries, we ask you to follow this gear list, for you own safety and pleasure.
YOUR PERSONAL GEAR:
- Soft suitcase or bag for your gear ideally 15kg/pers. (33lbs/pers.)
- Waterproof back pack 30-40l (8-10gal) for your picnic and day gear
- Sturdy (Gore-Tex) and comfortable hiking shoes
- Waterproof (Gore-Tex) jacket with hood
- Waterproof or insulated hiking pants
- Rain over-pants
- A few pairs of curly wool or synthetic socks
- Woolly jumper or thick fleece
- T-shirts (Merinos)
- Thin sweaters or shirts with long sleeves (Merinos or comfortable fabric)
- Underwear top and bottom (thermal insulation)
- Beanie and hat/cap
- Sleep mask
- Toiletry bag
- Swimsuit / towel
- Hydrating sun lotion and lip balm
- Walking sticks (optional)
If you have a doubt on your gear, feel really free to contact us to receive some personalized advice!